Yes, it's 5 o'clock somewhere.
And that place is here, at my computer, where I must log off now, because (and I'm sure all you fantasy owners can appreciate this), I have a draft to go to. Gotta do those last-minute preparations (i.e. carb up) for the Observer league's auction draft. This is my first baseball auction draft, but I've done plenty in football. Should be a nice, tidy, 4-hour ordeal. If we're lucky.
But one last spin through the box scores:
- Albert Pujols homered. Sore elbow or not, this guy is the goods. Only thing I worry about is St. Louis shutting him down on Aug. 15 after the Cards are eliminated.
- Juan Pierre benched. Word out of L.A. is Andre Ethier won the leftfield job, quite a shocker considering the Dodgers are paying Pierre $36 million over the next 4 years and new coach Joe Torre loves his veterans. Don't bail on Pierre if you have bench spots, but otherwise it's not looking good.
- Troy Tulowizki stole a base. His speed may just tick up a little from 7 last year. If that happens, Tulo is a major player in 5x5 leagues (he hit 6 HR this spring).
- Johan Santana has thrown 3 scoreless innings, striking out 2. This guy is the Mets meal ticket, but he could turn in a fantasy pitching season for the ages. Fantasy studs Reyes and Wright are both 0-for-2, but Castillo is 1-for-2 with a SB.
- Carlos Gomez, the biggest chip the Twins received for Santana, is leading off and playing CF (the 7 p.m. lineup has been posted). Reyes says Gomez is the only guy faster than him. That's 50 SB, if Gomez can just hit .250 and stay in the bigs all year.
- Zambrano (5 Ks) and Sheets (7 Ks) are still dueling in their 0-0 game. It's now in the 7th and Bill Hall just missed the basket, but got a standup double. Big Z just picked him off 2nd. Threat averted.
- Jimmy Rollins homered to tie the Nats 6-6.
- The Rockies-Cardinals are now in a rain delay.
Perfect. I think we'll end there, right where we began the day.
Hope you enjoyed Opening Day as much as I did.
And just remember, 161 left to go.